Apply for this job
For more information speak to Chris Jefferys on 01707 817624
To apply by email Chris.Jefferys.email@example.comApply Now
Health Safety & Biosafety AdvisorRef: BBBH4309
Salary:£35000 - £40000 per annum
Added:29 Aug 2018
Region: South East
Category: Clinical Development
Just HSE are now searching on behalf of one of the UK's leading virus diagnostics and surveillance centres for an experienced Health Safety and biosafety advisor to be based near Woking.
My Client delivers world-leading research to understand, predict, detect and respond to viral disease outbreaks. They study viruses of livestock that are endemic and exotic to the UK, including zoonotic viruses, by using the most advanced tools and technologies to understand host-pathogen interactions in animals and arthropod vectors. There major strength in understanding the immune systems of livestock provides a platform to control current diseases and respond to emerging threats.
The successful candidate will be critical to provide my Client with expert professional support necessary to comply with requirements under health & safety law and related legislation, to maintain legal authority to operate as a HSE Major Hazard Installation under its Specified Animal Pathogens Order 2008 (SAPO) license; and to facilitate control and mitigation of the high consequence risks arising from its work.
HSBS Advisers are a pivotal part of the organisation, providing excellent levels of service and exacting standards of work in support of research, diagnostics and operations.
Roles and responsibilities
- Provide timely and reliable expert advice on HSBS to all stakeholders,
including assistance with preparation of risk assessments
- Develop and deliver effective HSBS training.
- Develop and provide best practice expertise in all aspects of biorisk management and associated regulatory compliance, supporting biosafety management of specific laboratory areas as directed.
- Provide biosafety advice and support on high consequence viral pathogens of livestock animals both generally, and specifically regarding compliance with the requirements of the Institute's licence under the Specified Animal Pathogens Order 2008 (SAPO), covering operations up to and including SAPO Containment Level 4, and up to and including Class 4 for environmental hazard under the Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations 2014.
- Support the development and implementation of applicable management systems such
as ISO 45001, and work in conformity to quality management systems such as ISO 9001.
- Contribute as necessary to HSBS aspects of the site development programme, external projects and consultancies.
- Act as lead on the management and risk assessment of the site's radiation use (including radioactive sources, X-ray generators and Imaging lasers. And ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and site permits.
- Act as lead on Display Screen Equipment (DSE) assessment and ergonomics of office and science staff.
- A degree in a bioscience subject, or equivalent.
- Substantial research or technical laboratory experience.
- Demonstrable ability to deliver high quality work, on time in fulfilment of team and personal objectives
- Demonstrable ability to build good relationships with stakeholders and to resolve challenges with sensitivity and innovation
- Experience of working at SAPO containment level 4
- The ISTR BioSafety Practitioner 1 qualification, or substantial experience of biosafety practice or of laboratory management
- NEBOSH General Certificate in Health & Safety, or equivalent.
- Radiation Protection qualification or experience of working with and/or management of radioactive substances.
- Experience of coordinating/monitoring health and safety arrangements for hazards such as chemicals, cryogenic gases, noise and vibration.
- Experience assessing and implementing Display Screen Equipment (DSE) and ergonomic solutions for office and science staff.
- Experience of working in conformity with relevant management systems.
- Experience of carrying out incident management and investigation.
- Experience of carrying out workplace inspections and of auditing
- Experience of delivering training
- £35,000- £40,000 per annum depending on experience.
- Generous Group Personal Pension Scheme and life cover (subject to age and earnings)
- 25 days annual leave per annum, pro rata, plus 10.5 public and privilege days
- gym with subsidised membership
- social club
- Lifestyle Hub (employee discount site)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Childcare vouchers and a subsidised childcare allowance
- Free onsite parking
To apply, please email an up-to-date CV or call Chris Jefferys on 01707 817624. for a confidential discussion.